Aug 4 - Student Mask Requirements
State Superintendent of Education, Molly Spearman, announced that face masks will be required on district transportation and within all SC public school facilities for all students in 4K-Grade 12. Schools are to follow guidelines established by the CDC when adhering to this requirement.
Face Mask Requirements
- Masks should cover the face from above the nose to below the chin and fit snugly.
- Masks may be reusable cloth masks, disposable masks, or gaiter masks. Bandanas and loose-fitting scarfs that can easily become undone should not be used.
- All decorated masks must meet dress code requirements.
- All students will wear a mask at bus stops if waiting with individuals from other households.
- All students will always wear a mask on district transportation.
- All students will always wear a mask at school or on school grounds except in the following situations:
- Eating breakfast or lunch
- Outside at recess
- During a defined mask break
- When instructed by school personnel
- Face shields may not be substituted for face masks. This is specifically stated in CDC guidance.
- Brief face masks breaks will be provided when appropriate during outside lunch or other opportunities where physical distancing of 6 feet or greater can be maintained.
- Students with special situations or specific health needs will be addressed individually. Parents should contact their school to address their specific concerns.
- Future modifications of the district protocol may be required due to changes in CDC or state guidance.